Join my Newsletter for upcoming events and information

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

STEAM club and Low Self Esteem in Pre Teen Boys & Girls.



Last night I was lucky enough to be a Special Guest for my local Library's STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) Club for children 9-13 years old.  I presented information on the Brain and nervous system and how stress affects both of those systems.

I shared information from a Peer Reviewed Journal that stated Yoga affects both of those systems and in tern, decreases stress in Children (teens and adults). 

After presenting the information, I told the kids that we would be learning about and practicing yoga.  The first thing I heard by a girl in 4th grade was, "I'm so bad at yoga, I can't do it!"  I asked her if it was okay to share with the group what she said (she said it quietly, so I'm not sure they all heard her).  She said it was okay.  I repeated what she said and told the kids that this is something I actually hear a lot.  What the girl was referencing wasn't Yoga so much, but was Asanas- which is just one part of Yoga.  It's when we make shapes with our bodies.  I then explained the other parts of yoga that we will practice. 

The different elements of Yoga that I was speaking of are:
  • Asanas- various poses of the physical body
  • Pranayama- various regulated breathing techniques
  • Mudra- various hand gestures
  • Meditation/Visualization- Learning to be still and relax, visualize something as if you are watching a movie in your head
I started the lesson by explaining mudras.  I let the kids know that there is no documented origin of mudras, but all cultures have practiced them for as long as we know.  Some examples of mudras that we use every day are: clapping, waving, thumbs up, okay symbol, and shaking hands.  I taught them two mudras that are used to decrease stress. 

We then moved onto regulated breathing.  The kids were taught four different breaths that they can use to calm themselves and decrease stress.  We talked about which breath has the best effect and that not all breaths work the same for everyone- so choose which one works the best for you.

For asana work, we used pose cards and each taught each other the different poses.  I kept an eye on the girl who said she couldn't do Yoga, and she tried every single pose!  We later moved onto partner poses and ended in a visualization activity.

After our group Yoga class, the STEAM club went back to the children's room to work on a craft.  I made my rounds to the different tables and asked each group what they though of the Yoga class. The little girl who "couldn't do yoga" was so excited.  She couldn't wait to show her aunt and her friends mom the partner poses we learned.  One 7th grade boy connected some of the poses to one of his gymnastic classes.

ALL OF THE BOYS (5 OF THEM) ENJOYED THEMSELVES!

I wasn't surprised at all, but it's still portrayed as something girls do.  One of the boys- around 11 or 12 years old said to me, "I'm really surprised how well I did.  I didn't think I would be able to do it because I'm not flexible, because I'm so fat."  My heart sank!  This awesome little kit, who was by no means "fat" probably would have never tried Yoga because of his negative body image.  I told him that he wasn't fat and he was like, yeah yeah... I know I am.  I told him that Yoga is for everybody and even if you aren't "great" at a certain pose, you practice and get better at it every day.

It sort of broke my heart hearing that he thought he was fat and therefor wouldn't be good at something.  This is another reason why I want to spread Yoga to all children.  It builds confidence and positive self image- who doesn't need that?  Children as such a tender age need it the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment